The State Council of Educational Research & Training, Govt. of West Bengal (SCERT, WB) under Department of School Education , Government of West Bengal, guided by promoting innovations through its practices carries out specific tasks for quality improvement in School education in West Bengal. The SCERT (WB) aims at delivering dynamic and participatory interactions between teacher educators and teachers in various stages of school education on issues ranging from planning, research, and action programs to extension and evaluation. SCERT (WB) also conducts review and provides review based as and when sought by different authorities and stakeholders.
- SCERT, West Bengal: Roles & Functions
SCERT was established as a Post Graduate Research and Training Institution in terms of G.O. No. 712-Edn (CS) dated 21.05.1980 and functions under Department of School Education, GoWB as per G.O. No. 7-Edn (P) dated 25.02.1993 till date to carry out specific tasks for quality improvement of school education in West Bengal. It is neither autonomous like NCERT nor a Directorate but a constituent part of the School Education Department like its other different constituents, headed by a Director. The tasks, with which the SCERT, West Bengal has been entrusted cover the entire spectrum of school education. The specific tasks, as enumerated in the relevant Government Order, which constitutes the foundation of the SCERT, West Bengal are given below:
- To arrange for the in-service and orientation of official dealing with pre-school, elementary, secondary and higher secondary education in the state.
- To arrange for the in-service training of teacher educators working at all stages of education from pre-school through higher secondary.
- To provide extension service to teacher training institutions at all levels in the state.
- To organize programmes including correspondence-cum-contact courses for the overall professional development of teachers, teacher educators and supervisory /inspecting officers.
- To co-ordinate the work of Extension Service Centres of the teacher training institutions in the State.
- To produce curricula, instructional materials, text books etc. for the use of educational institutions and teachers of pre- school, elementary, secondary and higher secondary stages in the state.
- To prescribe curricula and text books for the schools and teacher training institutions at the pre- school and elementary stages.
- To produce instructional materials for the use of teacher educators at the secondary and higher secondary education levels.
- To function as administration controlling authority for the DIETs in West Bengal.
- To conduct studies and investigations on the various problems of education in general and in the training of teachers at the levels of preschool, elementary, secondary and higher secondary education.
- To perform other functions as may be entrusted with to it by the Department of School Education, GoWB from time to time.
The activities of SCERT have been categorized under the following four divisions from its inception:
- Division of Curriculum Development
- Division of Educational Research, Evaluation and Examination Reform
- Division of Training and Extension
- Division of Educational Technology
- Salient activities of SCERT (WB) through the last decade
- In the last decade SCERT (WB) conducted a study and published “ Twenty-five years of Research in School Education- The Scenario in West Bengal “ (2006)
- As a part of constantly providing research-based inputs to the Government, SCERT (WB) brought out “ Impact of Mid Day Meal Scheme in Primary schools and Shishu Shiksha Kendras in Five Districts in West Bengal – A Report” (2008)
- SCERT (WB) , on being directed by the Government, took up a study and published a report titled, “Implication of a Private Tuition in West Bengal- A Report “ (2009)
- A study on students’ & Teachers’ Time-on-Task in Primary schools of West Bengal was also taken up and results were published in 2012.
- SCERT (WB) developed strategies and materials for improvement of classroom environment in the light of NCF, 2005 and RTE Act, 2009.
- In more recent times SCERT (WB) planned programmes toward building capacity of teachers/teacher educators in statistical techniques for conducting educational surveys.
- SCERT(WB) has been collaborating with NCERT in conducting National Achievement Survey Since 2000 in West Bengal.
- Prepared D.El.Ed. curriculum as per NCFTE, 2009; also text books were developed for teaching clarity following D.El.Ed. curriculum.
- Developed module for orienting teachers on CCE.
- Organised School Leadership Development Programme (SLDP) in West Bengal for heads of Institutes.
- Conducted Teachers Training on different school subjects, Inclusive Education and on Career Counselling.
- Developed Orientation Module and Conducted Orientation Programme on Child Protection Policy (CPP).
- Conducted teacher training on ICT in education.
- Provided support to PBSSM in conducting Utkarsh Abhijan.
- Have been conducting National Population Education Project (NPEP) activities as approved by NCERT since 2004.
- Gender sensitisation conducted among pre-service D.El.Ed. trainees in DIETs of West Bengal.
- Developed Mathematics Laboratory Manual and training of teachers conducted.
- A Mathematics Laboratory has been set up at SCERT(WB) and DIETs in West Bengal.
- Digitisation of the Library of SCERT(WB) carried out.
- Digitisation of English Teaching-Learning Material done.
- Carried out Teacher Education Network (TEN) project.
- Conducted Research Methodology Certificate course for Teacher Educators in SCERT and DIETs in West Bengal.
- Translated texts of vocational Education in secondary and higher secondary stages.
- Conducted research studies on several issues, to wit:
- To study reasons behind educational outcome of West Bengal in NAS-2017
- To study the issues behind drop-out at secondary level in \govt. and Govt. aided schools in West Bengal.
- Conducted orientation for newly recruited Teacher Educators in DIETs on Action Research.
- Conducted Teacher Assessment Test (TAT) for teachers in Ekalavya Model Residential Schools in West Bengal.
- Our Activities: (From 2011-2017)
Details of activities Performed
|ACTIVITIES 2011-2012||ACTIVITIES 2012-13||ACTIVITIES 2013-2014|
|1.Development of textbook in General Science class VI in the light of NCF,2005 and section 29 of RTE,2009
2. Developing Computer Aided Learning (cal) lessons on selected topics in upper primary (Classes VI-VIII) syllabi, following WBBSE Curriculum
3. Activities of SCERT (WB) in the State Resource Group on Computer Aided Learning
4. Terminal Achievement Survey at the end of class-VIII in collaboration with NCERT
5.Development of strategies and materials for improvement of Class room environment in the light of RTE Act 2009 and NCF, 2005
6. Development of strategies and materials in the light of RTE Act for Special Training in West Bengal
7. Students’ & Teachers’ Time –on-Task in primary schools of West Bengal
8. Development of textbooks in Mathematics for upper primary classes in the light of NCF,2005 and section 29of RTE,2009
9. Preparation of Teacher Education Annual Plan (2012-13) & Perspective Plan under CSSTE for the 12th Five Year Plan Period (2012-17)
10.Capacity building of teachers/ teacher educators in statistical techniques for conducting educational surveys
11. Orientation of primary school teachers on teaching of Mathematics, Conducted by CIET in collaboration with SCERT (WB) by video conferencing through EDUSAT Network.
12. National Population Education
|1.National Population Education Project (NPEP)
2. National Achievement Survey at the end of classes-VIII& III
3. Development of material on conducting action research by teachers for improving quality of classroom teaching-learning
4. Development of Strategies and materials for improvement of Classroom environment in the light of RTE Act 2009 &NCF,2005
5. Capacity building of teacher/teacher educators other functionaries instaticaltechniques of conducting educational surveys
6. Preparation of “West Bengal elementary teacher education curriculum framework 2013” –the draft D.El.Ed Curriculum in the light of NCFTE
7. National Population Education Project (NPEP)
|1. National Population Education Project (NPEP)
2. National Achievement Survey at the end of classV, cycle-IV
3. School Leadership Development programme (SLDP) in the State of 0West Bengal, a joint initiative with NCSL, NUEPA
4.Workshop on Guidance
And Counselling toward a pool of Guidance officers in West Bengal
5. Development of teachers’ training modules on CCE (primary & upper primary) and Pre-primary education
6. Strengthening of DIET-SCERT relationship
7. Preparation of D.El.Ed. Curriculum as per NCFTE-2009
8. Coordinating visits of the joint Review Mission (JRM) for teacher education
9. Creation ICT empowered Teacher Educators in the State of West Bengal
10. Collaboration with TEES-India, a DFID funded project
|ACTIVITIES 2014-2015||ACTIVITIES 2015-2016|
1. Organisation of Role Pay /Folk Dance Competition under National Population Education Project.
2.National Achievement Survey, Class VIII, Cycle-4
3. Development of Teachers’ Training Modules on Child Protection Policy.
4. TESS India Project in collaboration with SCERT(WB)
5.School Leadership Development Programme (SLDP)
6. Utkarsha Abhijan 2014 Classes II and VI.
7. Capacity Building of teachers and students for teaching-learning through L2 in Model Schools of West Bengal.
1. Activities under NPEP.
2. National Achievement Survey at the end of class VIII,Cycle-4
3. National Achievement Survey at the end of classIII,Cycle-4
4. Teachers’ Training on Child Protection Policy.
5. Pilot study on Performance Indiacators (PINDICS) for Elementary Schools.
6. School Leadership Development Programme.
7. Utkarsha Abhijan 2015 for classes III& VII.
8.Model School Evaluation and improvement study
9. TESS India Project
10. Project activities under RMSA
Ø Around 14000 Teachers have taken training on different subjects viz. English, Physical Science, Life Science, Maths in West Bengal
Ø Around 18000 Teachers have taken training on Inclusive Education & Career Counselling in West Bengal
|NATIONAL ACHIEVEMENT SURVEY (NAS)|
|NATIONAL POPULATION EDUCATION PROJECT (NPEP)|
|GENDER SENSITIZATION AMONG THE PRE SERVICE TRAINEES OF THE D.El.Ed COURSE IN WEST BENGAL|
|DIGITIZATION OF SCERT LIBRARY|
|RESEARCH METHODOLOGY CERTIFICATE COURSE|
|PROVIDING SUPPORT TO VACATIONAL EDUCATION PROGRAMMES IN SCHOOL EDUCATION|
|SCHOOL LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (SLDP)|
|TEACHER TRAINING ON “ICT IN EDUCATION”|
|TEACHER EDUCATION NETWORK (TEN) PROJECT|
|DEVELOPMENT OF MATHEMATICS LABORATORY MANUAL FOR TEACHER EDUCATORS AND CONDUCTING DISSEMINATION WORKSHOP.|
|Activities during the year 2019-2020
- National Achievement Survey in class III & VIII (A NCERT & MHRD Project)
- School Leadership Programme for HM ( A RMSA Project)
- Translation work of the content for Vocational Education.
- Development of Mathematics Laboratory Manual for Teacher Educators (A CSSTE Project).
- National Population Education Project Activity.
- Research study “To find out the issues behind the outcomes observed in Elementary Education in West Bengal in the light of National Achievement Survey-2017”.
- Development of Digital content for the Secondary level on English Language.
- Advocacy programme on Child Protection in School (A CSSTE Project)
- Conducting a Research Study A study on drop -out at the secondary level in Govt.& Govt. Aided Schools in West Bengal.
- Orientation Of the newly recruited Teacher Educator’s in DIETS On Action Research .
Various affairs related to DIETs in West Bengal.
- Service matters of DIET employees.
- Financial matters namely allocation of fund, approval of various works of DIET, Audit etc.
- IFMS and HRMS related works of DIETs and SCERT (WB) employees.
- Various issues related on DIET 2nd Campus which has established under BRGF Scheme.
- Visit of DIETs for monitoring and supervision.